Tuesday 18 February 2014

Shatter Me Review


      Title: Shatter Me

Author: Tahereh Mafi

Pages: 340

Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Dystopian

Publisher: Harper Collins

Date Released: October 2nd 2012

Format: e-book

Synopsis: No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal, but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon. But Juliette has plans of her own. After a lifetime without freedom, she's finally discovering a strength to fight back for the very first time—and to find a future with the one boy she thought she'd lost forever. ( Source: Goodreads )
Quotes:
"I always wonder about raindrops.
I wonder how they're always falling down, tripping over their own feet, breaking their legs and forgetting their parachutes as they tumble right out of the sky toward an uncertain end."

"All I ever wanted was to reach out and touch another human being not just with my hands but with my heart.”
  

“The moon is a loyal companion.
It never leaves. It’s always there, watching, steadfast, knowing us in our light and dark moments, changing forever just as we do. Every day it’s a different version of itself. Sometimes weak and wan, sometimes strong and full of light. The moon understands what it means to be human.
Uncertain. Alone. Cratered by imperfections.”
  

“I've been screaming for years and no one has ever heard me.”  

Review:
Let me just start of with how beautiful this book cover is, like oh my goodness. So I had heard so many good things about this book and I've had it on my tbr pile for quite some time so I decided to pick it up and I am so glad that I did. The way that Tahereh Mafi presents her world to you is so beautiful, the world building made me feel as though I was actually there. At the start of the novel I could almost feel Juliette's aloneness (is that even a word haha?) not having uttered a single word for so long and finally having someone to talk to. That someone being Adam. After that first night together, I kind of thought he was a bit of a dick but that was soon forgotten when he became so sweet towards Juliette.

When we first meet Warner I instantly do not like him, not only did he kill without a second thought, he kept Juliette like a prisoner/trophy not like a person with feelings. He was merciless but I think there could be some part of him that's good. Adam's brother James seemed so sweet and I couldn't help but wonder if he was like Adam immune to Juliette's touch. On that note I felt bad for Juliette because before Adam she had nobody, no one cared for her, her own parents sent her to The Reestablishment without a second glance and I couldn't imagine how alone she must have felt.

Overall:
I recommend this to everyone. If you love young adult, romance and dystopian novels this books is for you! The writing style is so unique and poetic and I haven't read anything like it. I will definitely be purchasing this in a physical copy to re-read.

Cover art: 5
Plot: 5
Characters:4
Writing:5
Level of interest:4
Total rating:5

Where can you buy this:

Physical copies

- Amazon
- Fishpond (free shipping worldwide)
- Book Depository (free shipping worldwide)

e-books
- kindle
- Kobo


Happy Reading Everyone!
jordypaigebooks

2 comments:

  1. I've heard so many good things about this series. After reading your review, I definitely have to check it out! And I love how you rate the different elements of the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely should! I loved it :) I saw someone else rate it like that on their blog and I thought it would be a cool little thing to add :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back! Have a fabulous day! :)